We are in the midst of the heat of summer, and the Fourth of July is around the corner. Certainly we look forward to celebrating with family and friends by cooking out and enjoying fireworks together, but as Christ-followers, the freedom we enjoy as citizens of the United States means even more. The freedom to worship and to assemble together is one we should hold sacred.
As we approach this holiday, we can do more than just be thankful. As believers in a mighty God, we have the responsibility and privilege to bring the state of our country and its tremendous needs before the throne of Christ. The Bible is full of Scripture stating the power of prayer.
“If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” – 2 Chronicles 7:14
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:6-7
“Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” – Hebrews 4:16
“Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.” – Romans 12:12
Many of us agree that we need to be praying for our country, but we get overwhelmed with the needs and even a bit stuck as to what to pray about! There are many easy prayer calendars that you can print out and follow but here are a few ideas.
10 important ways to pray for the United States:
1) Pray for our President and national leaders.
2) Pray for your Governor and state leaders.
3) Pray for your Mayor and local leaders.
4) Pray for unity in our country.
5) Pray for a spiritual awakening and that hearts would turn to Jesus.
6) Pray for protection and encouragement over pastors and their families.
7) Pray for Christian couples in our country to have healthy marriages.
8) Pray for law enforcement and first responders in our country.
9) Pray for teachers in the schools in our country.
10) Pray for our military for safety and wisdom.
If you can add this list to your daily prayers and simply rotate it every ten days, think of the impact on your daily awareness of the needs around you and the impact your prayers will make on our country as a whole. You will be praying for your community, your marriage, and your own spiritual awakening as well. By choosing to be focused and disciplined in prayer we are aligning our hearts with the Father’s heart.
What will you choose to pray for today?